This is a blog dedicated to traveling, photography, and all the odd happenings that occur in between.
First was Vietnam: a 2000 kilometer solo motorcycle journey from Hanoi to Ho Chi Minh City undertaken in 2011, written in daily journal accounts.
Presently I'm writing about India and Myanmar. Nothing chronological here; just a random stringing together of events and places that have left their dusty imprint on my heart and mind.

Vietnam~ Day 6- Soggy Road in the Middle of Somewhere

Who knew sunny skies were ahead?
They told me to stay. Annoyed I wasn't heeding their advice, the old ladies in the dreary lobby of the hotel slapped my hands away as I tried to tie the plastic bags they had given me around my own double-socked feet along with another set around my icy, soaked shoes. They would do it themselves; my sendoff would at least be on their terms.


Powdered, latex, food handling gloves covered my cheap wool ones, a rain coat wrenched on over every dry shirt I had, the ubiquitous Viet flannel face mask, and some decent rain pants to finish.
 The process now complete, my body transformed into an amorphous mass of fabric and plastic, my Vietnamese mothers stood back, hands on hips, to admire their work. Shaking their heads, they bid me farewell.
The ride was tough, the road again clogged with shipping trucks, but the weather relented and had some warm spots. The old, dirty towns with their neon signs eventually gave way to verdant countryside. Rows of crops with backdrops of mountains for miles.
Hunkering down in a spartan roadside hotel at twilight, I dined and smoked tobacco out of bamboo bongs with the same truckers who had no doubt spent the better part of their day running me off the road.

1 comment:

  1. traveling soul. i like the punch line. u made me laugh.

    old blevins

    ReplyDelete