This is a blog dedicated to traveling, photography, and all the odd happenings that occur in between.
First was Vietnam: a 2000 kilometer solo motorcycle journey from Hanoi to Ho Chi Minh City undertaken in 2011, written in daily journal accounts.
Presently I'm writing about India and Myanmar. Nothing chronological here; just a random stringing together of events and places that have left their dusty imprint on my heart and mind.

Vietnam~ Day 11- Rain, Rain, Go Away



The Citadel walls. The emperor abdicated to Ho Chi Minh's Revolutionary Government here in 1945. Prior to that only emperors and their concubines were allowed inside 'the Forbidden City'.  The penalty for tresspassing was death--- nowadays about three bucks will get you in.

My schedule today is coffee, coffee, tea, beer. Rain, rain, rain, too. The bleary-eyed Frenchman, another ersatz resident of the drafty front room that stares out into a now near lifeless alley, joins my regimen with the resigned air of plans abandoned. There's no leaving today, the city's soaked through and the rain keeps coming like crashing waves. First frothing with drizzle, then rising, and finally peaking at a showering crescendo as each rolls through.
 So we sit, talk shop,and mock one another along with the English expat. Li, the bubbling proprietress, sits slowly rocking to Vietnamese music crackling from a weathered black box. Her body ensconced in jacket, scarf, and a plethora of indistinguishable layers and fabrics, she's rolling a growing hill of cigarettes.
They're mine. Back-country papers I bought in the middle of somewhere that I was rolling just fine on my own until she shook her head and forcibly took them from me. Vietnamese hospitality: caring with an edge. These will likely last me at least a week.
Li and the Frenchman. Waiting out the rain.


Hue on a milder day.


2 comments:

  1. Hello my wanderful wandering Grandson

    This is a wandeful blog and written as only you can . All I can say is MORE, MORE bring us MORE.

    Love Mimi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mimi.

      I guess I don't have some sort of alert set up to tell me when people comment or I would have responded much sooner. I will write some more soon, though I guess I haven't because I've been caught up with my travels again. I can't complain.

      Delete