This is a blog dedicated to traveling, photography, and all the odd happenings that occur in between.
First was Vietnam: a 2000 kilometer solo motorcycle journey from Hanoi to Ho Chi Minh City undertaken in 2011, written in daily journal accounts.
Presently I'm writing about India and Myanmar. Nothing chronological here; just a random stringing together of events and places that have left their dusty imprint on my heart and mind.

Vietnam~ Day 4- A Lovely Drive to Ninh Binh

This view of rugged karst peaks in Ninh Binh was worth the ride
"I keep smoking cigs just to keep fire in my hand."
 Bitter cold and driving rain in surprising 10 °C temps had me netting 93 K in just over three hours.

 I was just happy to make it out of Hanoi and the exhilaration of finally seeing HWY1A markers on the horizon kept me going for most of the ride. Biting wind tore my poncho to shreds and pushed my bike from side to side all over the road while truck drivers on the pass barreled down on me full speed till I relented and pulled off into small patches of dirt and gravel. At one point it seemed the road had turned one way and I was on the wrong end of it. It was twisted fun and I wore a wide grin for most of the ride.
Dismounting the bike, finally in Ninh Binh, I nearly collapsed, my legs numb up to my thighs. I was a mess of shit walking through the doors of this hotel, the first I could find. I tried to bargain, but one look at me and anyone could tell I was taking whatever room was available at whatever price. Sat under a hot shower until it ran cold.

No comments:

Post a Comment